Mental Health Carers NSW (MHCN) provides support and education for carers by:
- Operating our Carer Connections telephone service which is a local mental health service referral helpline
- Facilitating a number of Carer Peak Advisory Committees to seek consultation and advice from carers with lived experience and professionals in the sector on MHCN advocacy initiatives and Government policies and processes to feed into our work
- Conducting research and compiling reports for Government bodies in order to influence policy change
- Supporting systemic advocacy on behalf of mental health carers and to improve mental health services for the whole community
- Delivering relevant training and education workshops to empower carers to become mental health advocates and to assist them in their caring roles
- Hosting industry-relevant forums (including our annual Mental Health Carer Support Workers Forum)
- Providing weekly electronic newsletters detailing current news, upcoming events and key information for mental health carers across NSW
- Building relationships with partner organisations and like-minded NGOs to encourage a more inclusive mental health sector across NSW
- Encouraging awareness of mental health by promoting other services, research projects and participation opportunities for carers via our website and social media
Our Core Business
Peak bodies are non-government organisations that represent the interests of an identified group through a range of functions – primarily advocacy, lobbying and member support and engagement.
As the peak body for mental health carers in NSW, MHCN represents the interests of mental health carers in NSW. MHCN regularly consults with carers across NSW to gain information on their opinions and experiences with the mental health system. MHCN uses the information gained in these consultations to provide feedback on policies and services on behalf of carers to the NSW Ministry of Health and to other government bodies.
By influencing changes in policy, legislation and service provision, MHCN aims to make a positive difference to the mental health system for carers.
In order to effectively and holistically advocate at the systemic level on behalf of all mental health carers in NSW for mental health reform, we work with:
- Families and Carers
- Government bodies
- Community-Managed Organisations
- NSW Local Health District Family & Carer Mental Health Program Co-ordinators